Creative Writing - Master of Fine Arts (MFA)
The Creighton University Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing is a two-year residential program whose focus is on the book. Students create book-length manuscripts and prepare them for publication through a series of workshops, craft classes and literature seminars.
Eight-week terms provide flexible scheduling that includes built-in writing time. Students develop their writing skills at the same time that they learn to become contributing members of the literacy community. Fellowships, some with teaching opportunities, are available, as well as training and real-world experience in editing and publishing.
Preferred Application Deadline: Domestic: July 15 for fall. International students should apply at least three months in advance of anticipated start date in order to get all paperwork processed.
Applicants must have a bachelor's degree or its equivalent in any subject from an accredited college or university by the start of the first semester in the program. An application should include:
- Completed online application form and $50 non-refundable application fee
- Manuscript: A manuscript of original writing (published or unpublished): for the poetry track 10-12 pages, for the prose track 25-30 pages, for the screen writing certificate 25-30 pages;
- Personal statement: A personal essay of about 500 words on the applicant's purpose for pursuing graduate study in creative writing, identifying a particular track (poetry, prose, screenwriting);
- Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (no photocopies are accepted)
- Three recommendations from persons other than family members and preferably submitted by undergraduate/graduate faculty and/or colleagues;
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): All international applicants from countries in which English is not the primary language must demonstrate proficiency in English language by submitting a minimum TOEFL score of 80 ibt (213 CBT/550 PBT). International applicants who receive their baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited institution in the US, United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, or Africa (English-speaking only) are NOT required to submit a TOEFL score report.
- Creighton University reserves the right to request GRE scores or a personal interview.
- Technology: For the screenwriting track, acknowledge regular access to the technology needed to take online courses as outlined here. By starting the application process, students are implicitly acknowledging such access.